Saturday, March 12, 2011

chaus felix

Felix chaus oeps!!
a month or two ago I went to the computer place (yes this miserable outpost has something akin to that these days).
On a table sat a beautiful little kitten playing with a not so empty ink cartridge with predictable results. You can have that one growled the shop owner and trust the inky fur ball at me. never one to say no to a cat, especially as our last one got eaten by a snake i took the little fellow home: he who turned out to be a she- is still very young I realized soon, about 8 weeks not more, although a bit big for her age. Pretty she is,slightly cross eyed as some of my guests pointed out, not quite as bad as Clarence of daktari fame but enough to make her miss a jump or two of the more ambitious kind. Eusje as I called her -then vanished. Gone, I thought and missed the most affectionate though extremely vocal little fellow somehow terribly After about a week when I had just about given up hope there she was again: dusty hungry but with an air of; so here I am home, and does a cat get fed hereabouts or what?. She ate two cans of mackerel., slept for about three days, ate more mackerel, hissed murderously at the dogs who were not impressed at all, fell through a weak part in the restaurant's roof onto and into the dinner of several mortified guests, pissed on my bed, when admonished took to pissing under it, sent all the rats and other vermin packing in a panicked frenzy that has not been seen since the last cobra hit my kitchen,- In short , she did all the kitten things to be expected...only more so, just a bit well .. more savagely so, it seemed... then she vanished again....for about four days: just to arrive back 'guiding' some new guests down the garden path...and seemed to have grown to about twice as big. Could she be older than I had thought, I wondered, but no, she still has her milk teeth she is just. Very very big for her age, taller than even a dutch 'model tea cozy' cat.
Then she bloodied Elvis's nose- unprovoked I might add.
When I found her cavorting in the river, with the bulldogs, who hate water in any form looking on in wonder, I had to admit to myself, that this is ,not, well, quite a household variety of cat.
Then I remembered vaguely there is such a thing, referred to by a friend from wwf as bad ass cat:the off spring of a wild jungle cat and a domestic one....a quick look in my wildlife guide of Cambodia sent me running to the internet: sure enough, a half/ chaus Felix, or chaussie as they are known, I have here....photo from the internet:

..and that is Eusje
am curious how this will work out, to say the least!

No comments:

Post a Comment