Tuesday, August 18, 2009

ooh, well as Mrs Child would say

..as I cook for a living and like doing so, and finally got internet, it stands to reason that I would take al ok at what the rest of the world is cooking these days: my god the net abounds with culinary sites: so to read I went, and read and then some more, but ooh…. most cooking seems more to be a spectators sport than anything else these days; vanity, vanity and vanity abounds, chefs on TV, fans of chefs on TV, and fans commenting on fans of chefs on TV(: Julia and Julia or whatever being a case in point.).all of a sudden I do feel so very far away from the rest of the world- which of course I am- but also, I realize that I do not mind too much: when the sites do not talk about chefs talking about chefs *), it gets really sad: when people actually decide to deal with actual food it does get even scary at times::there is this one person who read somewhere that stock is made of bones-and to give her credit, ( oh the dare, the dare!) she tries and succeeds to make stock from bones!- wow.. (For the culinary uninterested: all stock made of bones, and no, it should not come out of a package!!!!).On the more professional sites: oooh horrors, the American legislation tries to force restaurants to put the amount of calories each dish contains on the menu- (they gotta be kidding)-. There seems to have gone quite an amount of suing going on about people getting fat of the restaurant food. (Hey guys ever heard of stopping the eating part when you had enough???).

And on I read and more of the same and I begin to wonder: what about the food? And finally I find a refreshing read; a gentleman actually went, found- and bought a pig’s head and went to cook and did it/ HE DID IT! I laud his effort, but I wonder: living in cambo, where every meat stalls has the (whole) heads of the hogs lined up for purchase to be cooked; doesn’t everybody boil their hog’s head??? They do not of course.

Then there is the slow cook movement, I laud their efforts and think at the same time, how sad, how very sad that we do need a movement to enjoy, what? Old fashioned food.

So, I cite Alice B. Tocklass: every deed in the kitchen begins with murder… a fact; people in the west seem to be unable to stomach these days.

Ooh well, to speak with Mrs., Child…..

*) Btw: all chefs who meet chefs hit each other on the shoulder and call each other chef! Chef! Chef! We all do that, we are all guilty of that one, even in Phnom Penh…

No comments:

Post a Comment